Is Best Buy Totaltech Worth It?
With basically everything in your home, such as major appliances, entertainment systems and home office setups far more advanced and complicated to fix than the old days of plug-it-in-and-turn-it-on, it’s inevitable you’re going to need help and in some cases, repairs, for all those expensive items you own. Rather than buying individual protection plans, is it worth it to your wallet (and your peace of mind) to purchase an annual Best Buy Totaltech membership?
RetailMeNot investigates whether Best Buy Totaltech is worth it
What Is Best Buy Totaltech?
Best Buy Totaltech is Best Buy’s annual paid membership program that provides its members with VIP status on tech support, installations, discounts and more.
What Are the Benefits of Best Buy Totaltech?
Some of the biggest benefits of the Totaltech program:
- 24/7 Geek Squad expert support. Whether you want to speak with someone on the phone, online at BestBuy.com, via the BestBuy mobile app or in stores, the experts are there to help you troubleshoot. They’ll help you with setting up and troubleshooting issues with devices like computers, tablets, gaming consoles, printers and smart home products.
- Tech support on items purchased elsewhere. One of the coolest benefits to Totaltech membership is that you get unlimited expert tech support on all devices you purchased, no matter when, and even if you didn’t get it from BestBuy.
- Product protection of up to 24 months. As a Best Buy Totaltech member, you’ll receive up to 24 months of Best Buy Protection or AppleCare+ coverage (for Apple hardware products) for most new devices purchased at Best Buy, as long as your membership is in active status. If you decide to cancel your membership, you will no longer have that extended protection.
- Free delivery and installation for new Best Buy purchases. Need a TV installed and mounted? A treadmill set up? Your computer backed up? A home modem networked? Totaltech has you covered. Totaltech offers free installation for products purchased at Best Buy. Bought an item someplace else? You will still save 20% on labor for in-home setup and standard installation of eligible products you’ve already purchased.
- Exclusive member pricing. As a Totaltech member, you get discounts and daily deals, both online and in stores.
- Extended return and exchange windows. Your return window on most (but not all) products is extended to 60 days, and any restocking fees are waived.
- Free haul away service. In addition to free in-home installation services on Best Buy-purchased items and free delivery, you’ll also get free haul-away on TVs and major appliance replacements.
- Free 2-day shipping. As a member, you get free same-day shipping whenever available, and two-day shipping on everything else, with no minimum purchase required.
How Much Does Best Buy Totaltech Cost?
Membership costs $199.99 annually and can’t be shared with another household. Your membership renews automatically each year, unless you cancel it. Best Buy will email you ahead of time to remind you of your upcoming automatic renewal, and let you know if there have been any changes to the annual cost of the program.
Is Best Buy Totaltech the Same Thing as My Best Buy Rewards?
No. My Best Buy Rewards is Best Buy’s free loyalty program. You do have to be a My Best Buy member to be a Totaltech member. If you’re not already a My Best Buy member, when you register for Totaltech you’ll automatically be enrolled into the program. As a member, you’ll get points on eligible purchases from Best Buy stores or on BestBuy.com as well as access to special sales.
How Do I Register for Best Buy Totaltech?
Easy. Just head to Best Buy, and add a Totaltech membership to your cart. Provide your information, pay, check out and you’re good to go! You can also speak with a store associate about becoming a Totaltech member. And if you’re about to buy a big-ticket item, be sure to add Totaltech at the same time to take advantage of all the benefits, like free installation and haul away of your older model.
How Do You Cancel Your Best Buy Totaltech Membership?
If you decide you do not want to renew your membership, contact Best Buy at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) or you can manage your Totaltech subscription by logging into your BestBuy.com account.
Is Best Buy Totaltech Membership the Same as Having a Geek Squad Protection Plan?
Almost all Geek Squad services are included as part of your Best Buy Totaltech membership, but if you are not a Totaltech member, you can still access the pros at Geek Squad for help (prices vary).
Is Best Buy Totaltech the Same as Best Buy Beta?
Best Buy Beta was a pilot program offered in select markets similar to Totaltech. It also cost $199 a year, and gave subscribers tech support, extended protection, free installation and assorted deals and discounts. Sounds a lot like Totaltech, right? Customers who’d been Best Buy Beta members as well as Total Tech Best Buy members were all upgraded to Totaltech membership, which is available nationwide.
Is Best Buy Totaltech Worth It?
Yes, for many people. If you’re a household with multiple devices, computers, and appliances and need help with setup, repairs and networking, Totaltech membership is like having an on-call handyperson with tech know-how. It’s also great if you need to purchase a few new appliances for a kitchen or laundry room, or get a new entertainment system up and running. Best Buy Totaltech reviews are overwhelmingly positive, with over 5,500+ members rating the program a 4.3 out of 5 stars.
When Is Totaltech Not Worth It?
If you are a renter in an apartment where the appliances aren’t yours or most of your technology is at your office, Best Buy Totaltech may not be necessary for you. You may be better off getting an extended warranty on the occasional item rather than paying $199/year, every year. You can still find other savvy ways to save at Best Buy.